Monday, May 18, 2015

Bully Breeds: Adopt Dont Shop!

As I was walking one of my clients dog, a beautiful American Pit Bull, I was approached with the question, "Would you like to breed him?"

Um.....of course NOT

People fail to realize that pitbulls are the majority breed In shelters! 
It saddens / angers me that there are many people that are like minded like this individual who approached me. 
Especially since Bully Breeds get a lot of negative attention. It irks me.

According to an article on the Examiner.com, Pit Bulls and euthanasia rates, it states:
"Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes average about 33% of shelter intakes nationally, but in large cities the numbers are as high as 40%-65%. About 75% of municipal shelters euthanize Pit Bulls immediatelyupon intake, without them ever having any chance at adoption. Those that are offered for adoption are usually the first chosen for euthanasia when overcrowding forces the shelter's hand and decisions have to be made."

Also, very recently of this month, City of Stockton Animal Shelter in California were giving away FREE pits/pit mixes due to shelter being completely full. 

In response to this, Candace, (Click to view her instagram page) a beautiful woman inside and out who has over 100,000 followers on her instagram page, and is a Pit Bull advocate, awesome foster mom, AND had rescued/adopted 6 dogs stated: 
"This shelter is completely full. Maxed out brimming with pit bulls. Giving them away is terrible and scary, but it is the lesser of 2 evils as they will be put down if not adopted. All at the fault of humans ****Friends I have tears in my eyes as I write this. This is the very REAL problem in our pit bull community. I completely understand why the shelter needs to do this as they've decreased the number of dogs they put down to try to save more, but at the same time it breaks my heart. That a breed would be specifically given away for free. Because there are too many. BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP BREEDING THEM. Please just STOP! It is the most unfair and selfish thing you can do, both to the animals and the people who cannot rescue them."

Need I say more?
Go to your local shelter and save a life!!!!!
LIKE! COMMENT! SHARE!

Enjoy the below pics of some Pit/Pit mixes of my beautiful clients :)
Brego
Hitch
Liddy

No comments:

Post a Comment