Monday, April 27, 2015

DIY: Dog Bed & Elevated Dog Bowl



Ever since I found my baby girl Sweetie (previous post), I have been shopping online non stop for the perfect elevated doggie bowl and dog bed for her. I never realized how expensive large/xl dog beds and elevated dog bowls were until I started shopping for them. 

I have a couple beds for my Toy Poodle. However, for cute small dog beds,it only runs about $13-$25 of course, depending on what you want. For the L/XL, it starts around $40 and up. 

I didn't just want ANY bed,I wanted Sweetie to have a pink bed!
I found great sites that do custom beds but I didn’t want to pay $100 and up for one doggie bed.
So I went to my forever faithful inspiration board - Pinterest. 
Found an awesome COST EFFECTIVE way to do a DIY doggie bed. 

Dog Bed:

*Fleece Fabric (I used yard and half for medium/large dog size,use one yard of fabric for toy size) 

*Polyester Stuffing ($6 a bag at Joanns with 40% coupon, they ALWAYS have coupons),

*And scissors!
The Fabric cost me a whopping grand total of $14 at Joann's.
So my initial idea was to make one huge doggie bed for Sweetie but I bought more than enough fabric so I ended up making two beds. So for 2 beds, it averaged to only be about $13 or so each! Now, thats a steal!

Instructions:
1) Fold fabric in half
2) Cut out the 2 corners opposite of folded side. (about 2inches or so)
3) Cut 3 inch slits all the way around on all three sides. (Not on the folded material side)
4) Double knot all ends beside about 6 slits or so.
5) Start stuffing in the opening you left out.
6) Tie remaining slits.

Here are pics of the final product:

She loves it! (Pepper does as well lol)

My Supplies
Before I even started, they loved it!
As I was tying the slits, she stayed on top of it. 
Bed #1
She loves it
Bed #2

The Elevated Dog Bowl:

My friend Stephanie, and I found the cutest $4 flower pot. Yes, only $4!
(from Dollar General)
It is absolutely adorable and the perfect height for her. I think it was made just for her. Or I will keep telling myself that. :) 
So after we saw that,I got a doggie bowl and it fits perfectly inside! The tin dog bowl was $3. 
Whole project=$7 total! I am very happy with this! 
I placed some rocks I already had in my yard, inside the pot to add some weight to it so she would not knock it down when she is eating. 
Below are some pictures:
Handful of rocks or so
:)

2 comments:

  1. Oh these are lovely, you're so talented! I wish I could do that! Is Sweetie a rescue dog? We have just taken on another rescue dog too, they are so wonderful and it's absolutely the right thing to do.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just love finding alternate ways in doing things to save money! Yes, Sweetie was a stray, frail, skinny, and sad, but not she is my baby! It is more like "Who rescued who?" Think she was the one who really founded me! Crazy, I know lol. What kind of rescue do you have?! that is great!

      Delete