Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Senior Dogs Need Love Too


Something that has been on my mind a lot lately , are senior dogs. My almost 14 y/o Poodle has had quite a rough year.

In January he was sickly. He would constantly throw up and would not eat.
Took him to the vet, and turned out that he had a bad infection in his body due to his dental hygiene. He had a lot of plaque build up and gums weren't so great either. That caused an infection to go into his blood stream. So had to get his teeth cleaned.
I was such a nervous doggie mom. Out of all of his years of life, he has never had any health problems and this was his first time to have surgery and be under anesthesia!
However, it went great and he didn't even have to have any teeth pulled!
After that he gained some healthy weight and was eating like crazy an being my silly happy baby again.


In April, he started throwing up again and his appetite was gone. He wouldn't even eat his TREATS!
Now, at that point I knew something was wrong. Took him to the vet immediately and he had another infection. So they ran tests and had to put him on antibiotics. That cleared it up then he was back to normal again.

On July 5,  I took him and Sweetie (my German Shepard mix), to the dog park. Long story short, as soon as we walked in and I took off his harness, he got attacked by a dog. He had two bites on him and was bleeding and yelping.
I was crying frantically and rushed to the emergency vet.
He had to get survey immediately. The bites were already forming into a puss like form and becoming worse. I was so sad, scared, and angry all in one.
Once again, my baby is a trooper and surgery went well and he had to have a drainage tube in him for a week and had two sutures taken out 2 weeks later. Now, he is doing wonderful and living the life: Sleep, eat and repeat! The good ol' life of a senior dog.

I said all that, just to say how precious Senior dogs are. I always expect him to be there to greet me at the door when I come in my house, and always expect him to follow me like he always does and to be by my side at night when he sleeps on the bed with me. These cherished moments I may have taken for granted at times, but I definitely do not anymore!!

Senior dogs are sadly overlooked in the shelters and I just want to get a big house and save them all! Of course, I can not, but I just wish more people knew how awesome senior dogs are.
Just because they are much older and not so youthful looking or not as energetic as puppies or adult dogs, they are so patient, kind, and love you unconditionally. Their love for you never ends. They keep imprinting on your heart and your life. They are a constant reminder of what love is and true companionship.

Senior Dogs Are Awesome, And They Need Love Too!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment